The Formula Builder can be used to take values in one or more columns and apply functions to them in order to compare or calculate a value and place it in a new column.
- In any modules List Grid, right click on a column and choose Formula Builder
- The top part of the page shows a listing of the assigned variables (‘Keys’) along with the name of the source field it belongs to.
NOTE The Key does not correlate to the order or columns in the list grid.
- Enter a unique title in the ‘Title’ field. This will be the name of the column that gets added to the list grid.
- Start entering a formula in the Formula blank. You can click on one of the variables in the Key grid above, or simply type it into the Formula. The field accepts basic arithmetic as well as functions such as max, min, ceil, sqrt. For more details, click the “?” icon in the upper right of the Formula Builder window.
NOTE The variables are case sensitive. Changing case on the variable will cause the Formula Builder to not recognize it.
- You can see an example of the output using the data in the first Record in a List Grid or whichever row is highlighted in the list grid.
In the example above, G is the variable for the ‘Master Number’, or Record number 20. It is being multiplied by itself, giving the result of 400.
- Once the formula is working as desired, click on the ‘Save’ or ‘Save & Add Another’ buttons. If you click ‘Save’, the pop-up will go away and you will be brought back to the list grid.
- The new column will likely be near the far right of the list grid.